The concept of Organization Units was implemented in IMDS in order to better structure the companies registered in IMDS and be able to transmit information selectively to individual Organization Units. In this way, Organization Units contribute to more efficient company organisation in IMDS.
For example, it is possible to transmit material data sheets (MDS) directly to specific Organization Units – instead of sending them to the company in general. For structuring in Organization Units, further IMDS IDs for the various organisational units are created below the existing IMDS ID in one company:
Users can be assigned to one Organization Unit or to multiple units or IMDS accounts. Each user receives only that MDS for checking, which is sent to the units that are activated for him. Once a supplier MDS has been accepted, it is available to every user in the company. In companies that are not divided into Organization Units, it may happen that important functions of IMDS are not used because of lack of structuring.
A distinction is made between two possible methods of creating Organization Units:
- Division into Organization Units: One company ID is divided into
multiple Organization Units.
- Merging of Organization Units: Multiple company IDs are merged. This method is called "Merge" and help from HPE is required for this.
Each of these two methods has its advantages, which we have summarised for you below:
Dividing into Organization Units:
- You have the option of sub-dividing the database under your company ID, for example by projects, departments, locations or by product status, such as development, series production, etc. Users have the option of managing only the data for which they are responsible.
- You can have the data check carried out selectively by those users who are responsible for their areas. A user who checks the data in the inbox of his organisational unit knows that all the data are meant for his area and can immediately process them. Even data that a supplier has transmitted incorrectly – for example because he has used an incorrect code number format – can be found without any problems.
- You have the option of carrying out company-wide analyses with only one access, such as the use of restricted basic substances/REACH, materials used by the suppliers (for optimisation of purchase), material status, etc. Without "Merge", a user needs multiple IDs - one for each Organization Unit – and must analyse each company ID separately.
- You have the option of using internally released MDSs/modules company wide. Without "Merge", the user must send an MDS from one company ID to the other, and then accept it there, before it can be used. A step which also violates the current guidelines if it does not correspond to the supply chain.
- Suppliers that were previously delivering to multiple company IDs need only send one MDS from now on. This will reduce the company-wide expenditure on data checking.
How imds professional helps you with Organization Units: Organization Units ensure an efficient IMDS process for you. Would you like to create Organization Units in your company or would you probably like to check first whether they would be advisable for you? We will gladly advise you and analyse as to which structure would be advisable for your company. At your request, we will implement the process for you without any complications – from the creation of the Organization Units, or from "Merge", to moving of the MDSs and activation of the user accounts. We will also gladly carry out the Merge operation for you directly with HPE.
Your contact person is always there for you and would be happy to advise you:
Phone: +49 6083 9130-27