CAMDS material data entry for the Chinese market
imds professional also offers a service for CAMDS.
What is CAMDS?
In brief: CAMDS is the Chinese version of IMDS.
China has introduced its own web-based product data management platform for the automotive industry in order to comply with the recycling- and reuse requirements (China ELV) for automotive products: CAMDS (China Automotive Material Data System). It is – same as IMDS - a material data system with nearly the same functionalities. However, it is conceived differently in part and calls for a slightly different procedure.
CAMDS is likewise meant to ensure that the required reuse rate is adhered to and that prohibited substances are either not used or their use is restricted. Furthermore, it ensures that the recycling of Chinese automotive parts is improved. Same as IMDS, CAMDS presents a solution with which the chemical composition of automotive parts can be tracked across the entire supply chain. Similarly in CAMDS, bans and restrictions on basic substances, as described in ELV Annex II, for lead, mercury, Cr 6+ and Cadmium, must be complied with.
Additionally in December 2015 the Chinese Due Diligence Guidelines for responsible Mineral Supply Chains have been adopted. You may download the PDF file here.
As of 2012, the recovery rate of all the vehicles produced in and imported into China should be 90 percent, while the recycling rate of materials should be no less than 80 percent. As of 2017, the recovery rate of Chinese vehicles as well as vehicles imported into China should reach the international level. This implies that the recovery rate of all the manufactured vehicles should be 95 percent.
Figures, data, facts
- CAMDS is mostly binding on its members (OEM). These members decide whether the data of their suppliers must also be entered there.
- At the time of introduction of the system (2009),15 OEMs were members of the CAMDS Steering Committee; three of them are joint ventures (SGMW = SAIC + GM + Liuzhou Wuling, Dong Feng Motor = DFAC + Nissan, DPCA = DFAC + Citroen).
- Most of the OEMs in China (there are approx. 100, along with 20,000 to 30,000 suppliers) have meanwhile established a collective management committee, which is responsible for setting up, operating, servicing and maintaining CAMDS.
Functions of CAMDS:
- Same as in IMDS, the entire supply chain can be integrated and reflected.
- If a substance is missing on the BSL (Basic Substance List), its publication can be requested from CATARC (China Automotive Technology & Research Center). CATARC checks the request and adds the substance to the list, as necessary.
- Login is possible both in English and Chinese. The components can be entered in English.
- The system can be used free of cost.
With an increasing number of users of CAMDS and constantly increasing data volume, the requirements regarding efficient and quick data acquisition of high quality are also currently growing. To further improve the efficiency of data entry, to reduce the influence of fluctuations in connectivity and to optimise the use of the system, the CAMDS Management Center and the Japan Auto Parts Industries Association (JAPIA) have developed an Excel interface (CAMDS Interface Excel, in short CIE). This is an additional data entry tool for CAMDS. With this, data sheets can be edited in offline mode and CSV documents created here can be transferred more easily.
If you are an automotive supplier to China, you may be requested to enter your material data sheets in CAMDS. For that, you will require knowledge of this database.
In our 120-minute webinar "CAMDS – Overview", we will introduce you to the use of CAMDS and will explain the most important functions to you.
Do you need advice on CAMDS or help in using it? Do you wish to outsource all the activities related to CAMDS? Please feel free to contact us.
Phone: +49 6083 / 9130-30